Bridges Impact Report 2016
Tackling society’s biggest challenges
2016 has been another productive year for Bridges, with four new investments, five completed exits and another pioneering addition to our platform – Bridges Evergreen Holdings, a permanent capital vehicle for mission-led businesses (taking our total funds raised since inception beyond $1 billion).
More broadly, this year’s political turbulence has underlined quite how urgently we as a society need to find better ways to promote equality of opportunity; to support underserved regions; to improve educational outcomes for young people; to build a more sustainable health and social care system; and to reduce our environmental impact.
At Bridges, we have been thinking about these challenges and seeking out investable solutions for more than a decade. In this year’s Annual Impact Report, we explain how this approach has enabled us to identify a range of different strategies across our platform of funds – and we outline some of the impact we’ve been able to deliver as a result. For instance, through our investments:
- 3.3m care hours have been delivered to elderly and vulnerable people
- 2,500 tonnes of CO2 saved through renewable and green energy usage
across our property portfolio
- 4,345 students have been enrolled in high-quality afterschool programs in the US
- Almost 1,600 previously unemployed people have been helped back into work
- Vulnerable children have spent 23,500 fewer days in care
We also show how this challenge-led focus has underpinned the new investments we’ve made in 2016.