20/30 Visions #18: James Alexander on the need to invest in nature
Welcome to 20/30 Visions, a new Bridges series in which we ask experts and thought-leaders from around the globe: what needs to change if we want to build a more sustainable and inclusive future in the next decade? And how do we make that change happen?
We are hugely reliant on nature; it is the bedrock of a healthy society and a healthy economy. Yet the human race continues to damage nature in profound ways. We urgently need to invest in restoring nature - but the current funding gap between existing commitments and the amount required is thought to be around $700bn a year globally.
For this week's 20/30 Visions, we caught up with James Alexander, chair of Finance Earth, a social enterprise set up to try and channel more private and public capital to invest in nature, climate and communities. We discuss:
- The scale and urgency of the challenge we face when it comes to nature
- Why natural capital solutions may be the key to tackling climate change
- How the UK government is trying to kick-start the market
- Marrying his passion for sustainability with his interest in innovative finance
- The challenge of human nature
- Why it's time to mandate action - and punish laggards
- and more...
Watch our conversation here:
Or you can download James's insights to read as a PDF below:
The Value of Co-living
In this short paper, we examine why the emerging real estate sector of…
Bridges Annual Report 2022/23
Our 2022/23 Annual Report looks at some of the highlights from what was…
The Value of Low-Carbon Buildings
The emerging business models that can support the decarbonisation of our built environment The…