20/30 Visions #16: Emma Hoskyn on the importance of retrofitting
Welcome to 20/30 Visions, a new Bridges series in which we ask experts and thought-leaders from around the globe: what needs to change if we want to build a more sustainable and inclusive future in the next decade? And how do we make that change happen?
Buildings contribute up to 40% of global carbon emissions (even more in big cities) - and 80% of the buildings we see around us today will still be around in 2050. So if we are to have any hope of getting to Net Zero, we need to get much better at refurbishing and retrofitting our existing building stock to make it more sustainable.
Our guest this week is Emma Hoskyn, JLL's UK Head of Sustainability. We discuss:
- The scale of the challenge with our existing building stock
- How attitudes are changing among investors and asset owners
- The retrofit measures that really make a difference
- The value and rental premium for sustainable buildings
- The barriers preventing faster progress
- The need for a clearer policy framework (and the threat of IRA)
- and more...
Watch our conversation here:
Or you can download Emma's insights to read as a PDF below:
The Value of Co-living
In this short paper, we examine why the emerging real estate sector of…
Bridges Annual Report 2022/23
Our 2022/23 Annual Report looks at some of the highlights from what was…
The Value of Low-Carbon Buildings
The emerging business models that can support the decarbonisation of our built environment The…