SHPS: Programme Director
- To lead the delivery of an innovative homelessness prevention service across multiple London Boroughs.
- Responsible to: SHPS Board
- Start Date: As soon as possible
- Status: Permanent, full-time
- Location: London
- Renumeration: £60-65k, depending on experience, plus performance related incentives. Annual leave 25 days.
SHPS works with individuals who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless, helping them to either find new accommodation or sustain their existing tenancies. The service is currently operating in three London boroughs and is expanding. SHPS is funded as an outcomes contract, where Councils only pay for the positive social outcomes achieved by clients. This approach allows for greater flexibility in how the service is delivered as there is no fixed service specification, with performance measured by the outcomes achieved.
Role Outline and Description
We are looking for someone excited about managing a different type of service, commissioned in a way that removes the usual constraints of delivering under a strict service specification. The role requires someone who is creative, analytic and an outstanding performance manager, who will lead the service in preventing homelessness for as many people as possible.
In each borough the frontline SHPS service will be subcontracted to a local voluntary sector organisation. The SHPS Director will be responsible for managing the performance of each of the frontline delivery partners, with the overall aim of preventing homelessness for as many vulnerable individuals as possible across London. They will need to work closely with delivery partners to drive innovation throughout the service to achieve this aim. They will need to work in close collaboration with the diverse set of stakeholders involved in the service. This will include the boroughs commissioning the programme, the lead Commissioner as well as the local voluntary sector organisations selected to deliver the frontline service. They will be accountable for the overall performance of SHPS and report to the SHPS Board, which consists of the social investor supporting the programme and an independent Chair.
- Stakeholder Management
- Establishing and maintaining strong relationships with the Local Authority, social sector organisations and other project stakeholders, at both an operational and strategic level.
- Performance & Contract Management
- Leading performance management and reporting processes, driving delivery partners to prevent homelessness for many people as possible.
- Ensuring delivery partners are delivering SHPS to a high standard.
- Service Innovation
- A key benefit of a social outcomes contract is the flexibility it allows in service delivery. The SHPS Director will be responsible for driving innovation across the service, through identifying and implementing what is working and creating a culture of innovation amongst delivery partners.
- Managing operational risks and issues across the service.
- Ensuring operational processes in each borough are fully implemented and working well.
- Managing a Data Analyst who will support the reporting process and analysis of performance.
- Managing the engagement with 3rd party support services including Data Governance and IT support.
The successful candidate will have:
- 6+ years of experience in delivering and managing services
- Excellent leadership and strategic development skills
- Excellent senior stakeholder skills and inter-personal skills
- Excellent contract management skills
- Ability to think differently and implement service innovations
- Ability to develop and manage positive and collaborative relationships with many partners and stakeholders with different perspectives and interests
- Team player with strong work ethic and ability to take initiative in proactively resolving issues
- Experience growing / developing a business / social sector organisation
- Experience of delivering homelessness services
- Payment-by-results or SIB experience
- Experience working with Local Government
- Passion and desire to make a positive difference to the lives of vulnerable people
Applicants to the role should send their CV and supporting statement (no more than 1 A4 side) to firstname.lastname@example.org. by the 22nd of November, 2019.
Interviews are expected in the last week of November 2019 with the intention that the successful candidate will be able to commence their duties as quickly as possible.
Homelessness in all forms is rising across the UK and the challenge is particularly great in London. This is a unique and exciting opportunity to play a leading role in the expansion of SHPS, a service dedicated to preventing homelessness in the capital. The pilot service was launched in Brent 2 years ago and we now have received central government funding to expand delivery across up London. We have already launched in two more boroughs and are now working towards go-live in the other boroughs.
Under new legislation introduced in 2018, Local Authorities now have an additional duty to provide housing support to people with lower needs who are below the priority need threshold. This service helps boroughs meet this duty, and therefore has the potential to play a central role in the homelessness prevention strategy of local government. https://www.shpsbrent.co.uk/
The programme is an outcomes contract where we are paid for achieving positive social outcomes for our clients relating to entry and sustainment of accommodation. This model allows flexibility in how the service is delivered with a focus on evolving the service delivery model to best achieve the target social outcomes for the people we support.
SHPS is a subsidiary of Bridges Outcomes Partnerships, a not-for-profit social enterprise established to develop and deliver outcomes-based contracts, working in partnership with public sector commissioners and impact driven delivery organisations.